Tuesday, June 2, 2009

getting ready for a road trip

Hummis by Jane

INGREDIENTS
1 lb chick peas (Garbanzo beans) Soak over night and boil until soft.
Drain and process the chick peas in food processor with:
3/4 cup lemon or lime juice. More or less to taste.
1 teaspoon salt.
2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
a big handful of fresh or frozen herbs

Divide into small containers and freeze what you will not be using within a week.

Optional additions:
Cooked carrots,
fresh spinach
parsley
onions, cooked or fresh
red or orange sweet peppers
dried jalapeño powder
peanut butter
plain yogurt
curry

Note: Think of hummis as a vegetable spread or dip. Garlic is a typical ingredient, but not good for crowds. I have made cilantro hummis, basil hummis, rosemary hummis and dill hummis. I try to make mine flavorful but low calorie. Some flavor combinations have been more successful than others, but I love to experiment. Today, for a Thai taste, I will use lime, coconut oil, fresh cilantro, fresh sweet onion, with a tiny bit of basil and mint and maybe a spoonful of peanut butter and a small dash of jalapeño powder. Sometimes I warm the hummis up before I spread it on toast or pita bread.

8 comments:

Alan said...

This sounds delicious! I haven't tried making hummus since my first attempt (armed with only a potato masher, it turned out more chunky-style rather than creamy-style).

Do you ever put tahini in?

Jane Babcock said...

Tahini has too many calories to put in as much as most recipes call for. But I actually made two batches today because I cooked two pounds of chickpeas. In the second batch I used 3 tablespoons of toasted sesamee oil (kind of like tahini) and a teaspoon of chopped ginger, about half a sweet onion, and some very young basil I thinned from my herb pots. Also the lime juice. I didn't have quite 3/4 of a cup for the second batch, but it is fresh frozen lime juice I squoze and put in bottles when I got a case of limes cheap from NPS.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

It sounds great! I remember your hummus. John would be interested in the Thai version.

Alan said...

Interesting. Sesame oil has always been very tied up with Chinese cooking for me; I hadn't thought to try it with hummus!

I think I will try the Thai recipe; we have 4 basil plants soaking up the sun down here, and we can't harvest leaves as fast as they're growing.

Jane Babcock said...

John would say it needed more heat and more salt.

Jane Babcock said...

My basil plants are still baby babies. I would have used more basil if I had it.

BobandLu said...

I ate some dry crackers last night, they would have been great with the hummus. The cherries I had were nice though and made me think of you and Jenni.

Terina Dee said...

Hummus, ah hummus. I'm a happy hummus gal. My philosophy is that a dip and a chip make a full protein and who doesn't need a full protein? T.

P.S. I love your blog.