Sunday, June 21, 2009

fathers

I remember the day and place when I first imagined myself married to Ken Babcock. We were at Pleasant Grove Cemetery and in my mind's eye I could see him as a father. Fathers were easier to imagine in those days than husbands. I knew he was kind and thoughtful. I was willing to have him be the father of my children. I have never been sorry for that decision. I love him. He has given me courage and encouragement to mother. He has been a good example to me of consistency and devotion. I love him.

I learned to love his father, John Babcock, when he lived with us. He was a gracious gentleman thoughtful and generous and kind. He was amazingly cheerful and optimistic in spite of health challenges.

I didn't know either of my grandfathers. They both died before I was born. My mother's father, Papa, died when she was eight years old. My father's father, Daddy, died while my parents were living in Texas. My oldest brother, Alvin, named after his grandpa, was the baby. I got to know my grandpa Carlson to some degree as he was mirrored in my father, a happy, loving, playful, devoted father and husband.

I will forever love my own father, my Daddy, I am grateful for his love and lessons. I look forward to seeing him again and throwing my arms around him because of the atoning sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He taught me to know and love God our kind, all wise and eternal Father.

2 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I remember your daddy cooking. Making candy over the stove. Sitting at the table with his scriptures and reading them out loud. Smiling and hugging us. When he got sick and weaker and slower we must have lived further away? I look forward to getting to know him better. Your letters from your mom help us see him as a young dad, before the grandpa parts! Please keep sharing your history with us. XO And yes, you did pick a good father for your children!

Lisa Chin said...

I love hearing your stories about your family. I hope you are still writing them and will share them in your blog. I miss our writers group, but I think this is a good substitute. We just need to get Carol to start a blog now.