Wednesday, June 10, 2009

thrift stores

We discovered Luanna's thrift store yesterday, a Goodwill, close enough to go to twice in one day. I didn't find out they had a regular 15% senior discount until the second visit. We found some cute stuff, and the second time we went Olivia and Gabriel were with us and we found some fun things for them.

Thrift stores have been a blessing in my life as a mother and grandmother. I wish we had had them when I was a child. I did not grow up in a time of abundance. My neighbors did not have excess to donate. I hear there was the rag man. But rags became rugs instead of wearables. There were handmedowns in those days, but often they looked like it. My mother sewed which was a blessing to us. Now days I can buy better and more economically than I can sew. I remember two dresses that were purchased for me when I was a child, one I liked and one my mother liked. Mine was pink and blue and white. I wore it every day until my mother hid it and disposed of it. We wore dresses to school in those days.

Now I have more clothes than I need, and a multitude of choices for every mood. My compulsive clothes buying doesn't ruin us financially, thanks to thrift stores. I can experiment and make mistakes and discoveries without feeling too guilty. It has been extrememly nice to be able to buy clothes that fit the fifty pound lighter me. I have to remind myself to look in the racks with smaller sizes. Surprise problem. I still feel like the old me.

1 comment:

Jennilyn said...

It was fun shopping with you! I am thankful for thrift stores, too.