Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pennsylvania small land mammal


Gabriel told us to quick some and see the (?) playing on the patio. We watched it run under the bench and around the pots, out to the trampoline and across the yard. I knew what it wasn't but couldn't imagine what it was. Knowing I was in Pennsylvania should have helped. Searching the Internet for small land mammals of North America we found marmots and that led us to groundhogs, woodchucks and whistlepigs, which are all names for the same animal. "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood." Gabriel wasn't quick enough with his camera but we found this photo along with photos of groundhog cookies with raisin eyes and a scary looking big brown groundhog bread with almond eyes.

2 comments:

BobandLu said...

Hey that groundhog is supposed to stay in my neighbor's yard. She has a plan to trap him. We both hope it happens quickly!

Lisa Chin said...

I've never seen a woodchuck. I'm not sure I even knew they really exsisted. My brain has just grown another wrinkle ;)