Monday, February 1, 2010

arnica montana

Sometimes there are alternatives to taking pills. I have some arnica cream I used after my varicose vein surgeries this summer and decided to try it on the stiff finger joints that have been accompanying my mornings. After all, the tube said "natural pain relief * bruises *muscle aches *stiffness. The affect has been a dramatic reduction in stiffness. I don't know if I will have to use it regularly or if it will stay away for a while if I can get it to clear up. I think I will make an NPS run to see if they still have a supply. Or I could see if there is a way to grow the plant, arnica montana.
I found the following on eHow.com. "Arnica cream is a topical ointment made of an extract of the arnica plant. Arnica cream has been around since the early 1500s. Europeans used arnica to help stomach complaints and skin rashes, but it was the Native Americans who began using it to relieve pain associated with the muscles. Today, it is commonly applied to sprains, bruises and strains. The active ingredients in arnica cream promote tissue healing, reduce swelling and inflammation, and ease pain. It's also frequently used to soothe joint pain related to arthritis and to ease tired, sore, overworked muscles." -- Lilian Downey

Arnica montana (also known as leopard's bane, wolf's bane, mountain tobacco and mountain arnica),[1] is a European flowering plant with large yellow capitula.

I am definitely impressed.

1 comment:

Lisa Chin said...

It might be hard to grow it while you are on your mission. Good luck with your NPS run!