Thursday, February 18, 2010

fire station openhouse

Yesterday was the openhouse for the new fire station on 3300 South. Usually the door is locked, but from 11 to 7 it was wide open. Ken and I stopped in on our way home from a paint run to Home Depot. We checked out the truck bay, opened all the doors to see the laundry and storage rooms, then went upstairs to the bedrooms, living area and kitchen. Ken was brave enough to go down the fire pole, so I had to too, then we wanted to race home and make sure Becca brought Simon over. When I called her she was just picking him up from after school care, so she picked me up. I took pictures of Simon in the fire trucks, opened all the closed doors, and then we raced upstairs to the fire pole. Becca giggled all the way down and made the firemen happy. "The most fun anyone has had all day" was their comment. Simon hurled himself bravely to the pole. I made Becca and Simon do it again so I could get pictures. There was a five year old little girl who had gone down about 31 times (The firemen were counting) but I felt once was enough for me.

It is a big firehouse, two story with tall ceilings, balconies and decks. In order to build it, they tore down two houses and a stained glass shop just east of Wentworth, where Grandpa John lived. It replaces the old fire station by the library.

2 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

I can't wait to see the pictures! I'm really surprised they let people go down the firepole. How fun for you. I really wish you had pictures of you and Ken going down the firepole! That is a site worth preserving for posterity! Anneliese took some nice photos of the firestation on her blog as well. She went with her cute niece. http://alijoy313.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-fire-station.html

Deb in UT said...

I'd love to see your pictures too!