Monday, October 5, 2009

Skype convert

This is actually my skype photo, the first one I saved on my new computer. The picture below is a snapshot I took of David and Julie and family during our video conference. It was fantastically fun to talk with the kids and see their drawings and interact with them. It made me a convert of video calls. I loved it.

Laura commented in an email reply to my query, that they hadn't seen a need for it [skype], but as a grandma, I feel a great need to be able to see my grandchildren and get to know them and have them get to know me. It was so much better than just talking on the phone. We could play with them a little bit, and it was way less awkward than phone calls.

Photogenic family.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Wow! That does sound fun. I wonder how much a webcam costs?!!

Lisa Chin said...

Webcams are very cheap these days. As low as $20 and it looks like they should be on your Christmas list of all your Children this year!

Video calls always remind me of the Museum of Science and Industry. I remember seeing their video phone exhibit as a child (in the 60's) and it seemed so futuristic. I was always facinated with it and now here we are living in the "future."

julie babcock said...

I agree, web cams are for Grandmas. Terribly awkward in adult to adult calls. But with kids it works much better than a telephone call. Funny to see Iris realize that she could talk to the Grandma in the computer and that she would talk back.
--David