I love Rosalba. She is tries so hard and cares so much and is so faithful. Rosalba and I have been friends for about four years, but we are just now learning how to have really good conversations together. I meet with her every Monday and Wednesday for an hour to an hour and a half unless one of us cancels. Sometimes she has to go in to work on Wednesdays. She stays after I leave and works on the computer using Rosetta Stone.
Rosa is from Mexico and didn't learn to read and write in Spanish. She said her teachers scolded her and she would go outside and play. We started with the alphabet. She is still dislexic, but can now read and write. We work mostly on English, but sometimes I have her read in Spanish.
Because she has been in the United States for more than ten years, she knows lots of words, but it is often difficult to understand her because of her pronunciation. She doesn't pay much attention to end consanants. Rosa is shy. She has little opportunity to speak to anyone in English. She has never spoken with her neighbors.
She often teaches me Spanish words and explains things to me. She has helped me not be afraid to talk with non-English speakers. She has given me courage to try to speak Spanish (at least in emergency situations). Because of Rosa I try to talk with non-English speaking people I see at NPS. I know they can understand me if I keep it simple and talk slowly and clearly.
I used my cell phone for these pictures. It was easier to take a picture of her alone than of us both together. I think Jenni posted one on her blog of the two of us.
These are the last of my summer photos. I am all caught up. Last night we went up Rose Canyon with Michael and Sare and Ellie. I thought I had my cell phone with me, but I had left it in the kitchen. We saw a number of curious deer watching our picnic. It cooled off and Ken let me wear his coat. He and Steven wore a couple of Sare's colorful blankets. I think Ken took a picture on his cell phone of us with umbrellas. Michael had Ellie on his shoulders and was holding an umbrella high over his little family. Cute picture. We left before the rain got heavy. Sunday and Monday had been warm and beautiful.

2 comments:
It's wonderful to see who you are working with. What a wonderful thing you are doing for each other.
She looks like a very nice person. Thank you for sharing such an important part of your life.
Post a Comment