Tuesday, October 7, 2008

taking myself too seriously

As I have pondered my recent postings, I realize that I am way too serious and self conscious. I pride myself on being relaxed when I am anything but.

After a cultural awareness workshop one day, I found myself in a discussion group trying to understand oriental traditions of acceptance and oneness. I found myself reacting as a typical American, focused on time, deadlines, and getting our understand accomplished in good order. I ponder with a purpose. I relax diligently. Busy. Busy. Busy.

Maybe that is why I find escape in books. It takes me away from my business and lets me flow somewhere else somewhen else as someone else.

Walking in Sugarhouse Park this morning, I realized it is okay for a bird to be a bird. Ducks do their thing and it's okay. Little birds be little birds. Water flows. Grass grows. Life goes on. I need to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Been thinking about similar things today. I put two movies on hold that I read about in a Hal Urban self-help book that are supposed to be about not taking life and ourselves too seriously. They are "Zorba the Greek," which I've already seen,and "A Thousand Clowns," which I haven't. No idea what it's rated or how good the second one is, but Mr. Urban learned from them.