Thursday, April 23, 2009

water and weight loss


I am really excited to have discovered just how much water makes a difference in weight loss -- and how much of a difference it makes. While I was doing census training, we sat for 8 hours a day for 4 days. Most of the other workers had lots of snacks. I brought my lunch, and ate it at lunch time, but in between I drank water, to keep from snacking, filling up my 20 oz water bottle four or five times. I also drank water at home, before and after training. Within a week I had lost four pounds. In the last ten days, my average weight has dropped 4.3 pounds according to a spreadsheet that charts my average for the previous 7 days. I'm sure that rate of loss won't keep up, once my body adjusts, but I did notice one other thing. One of the big frustrations of dieting has been that carb calories eaten late in the day seem to make me gain weight, even if don't exceed my calorie goal for the day. Since I have been drinking water, that doesn't seem to be the case. I still believe that calories count and that the way to lose weight is to expend more than you consume. But prior to my water drinking experiment, it seemed like I was stuck on a plateau and that I wasn't loosing weight in spite of keeping my calories down. Drinking water has also made it easier to not feel hungry.

1 comment:

BobandLu said...

That's great! I'm glad you saw such results. I have a habit of late night "carbing". I need to get more protein snacks in the house.