Today was the first of four Census QC Enumerator training days. QC is an acronym for quality control and is one of dozens of acronyms we are being bombarded with. The training is painfully, systematically slow. "Do not open the box until you are told to do so," etc. Every step is divided into mini-steps that keep things crawling. I am working with talented, intelligent people. We all have the same questions and instincts. It will be a long week. I am tempted to bring a novel to read during the pauses, but it is easy to get behind if your HHC (hand held computer) is slow or if you accidentally hit the wrong thing. Our days are longer than eight hours during training (including travel time and homework, but we are are being paid for overtime. The trick will be getting other things done that I am used to having time to do, like shopping, making a salad for a DUP luncheon, doing laundry, etc. I am hoping it will be a worthwhile, educational experience.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Census training
Today was the first of four Census QC Enumerator training days. QC is an acronym for quality control and is one of dozens of acronyms we are being bombarded with. The training is painfully, systematically slow. "Do not open the box until you are told to do so," etc. Every step is divided into mini-steps that keep things crawling. I am working with talented, intelligent people. We all have the same questions and instincts. It will be a long week. I am tempted to bring a novel to read during the pauses, but it is easy to get behind if your HHC (hand held computer) is slow or if you accidentally hit the wrong thing. Our days are longer than eight hours during training (including travel time and homework, but we are are being paid for overtime. The trick will be getting other things done that I am used to having time to do, like shopping, making a salad for a DUP luncheon, doing laundry, etc. I am hoping it will be a worthwhile, educational experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That has to be torture. Good luck!
Ummm, yes. This is why I got two applique blocks done, in the waiting time. I would keep them on my lap, do a couple of stitches, wait, read, etc, so I wouldn't get behind. COULD NOT READ NOVEL--I stop listening and go into my own world then. By the end of the week it was better, more to do and figure out, and hands-on work helps. But still repetitive, slow...but important work! Good money. A blessing to count.
Post a Comment