I got my first dog bite of the new job this afternoon. I won't post a photo, because it is a wimpy dog bite. But it did break the skin, so I figured I needed to call my census crew leader to see if it needed to be reported. I offered to forget it when he mentioned paper work, but he decided we needed to put it on file anyway -- just in case it got infected or something weird happened.
There was a house that was listed as a single housing unit, with only one house number, but it was built like a duplex with front porches on the north and east sides of the house. I opened a gate and walked toward the porch with the house number, when two little white dogs suddenly appeared. The instruction is to not look the dog in the eye and back away slowly. They were racing around my feet and snapping at my pants. I felt a nip, and optimistically hoped it hadn't broken the skin, but when I pulled up my pant leg, there was but there was a bit of blood -- a very little bit of blood. I made my phone call to the crew leader and finished that block and two more before I quit.
Timing worked out. The crew leader came to the front door with the form, just after I walked in the back door. I will be a good object lesson for the crew at our meeting next Tuesday, and I will be very very careful about fenced yards in the future.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm very glad to hear it was only a little dog and not a big one with bigger teeth!
And you have always been a great teacher, but in the future you might want to limit your teaching to less "dangerous" topics!
Yike! I've never been bitten by a dog but have always been afraid of the possibility. I too am glad it was a little dog!
Post a Comment