Waking up in the morning is a blessing even though I went to sleep late last night or early this morning depending on how you define it. I will be sleepy during church and early evening tonight. I don't teach until next week, but I worked on my Sunday School lesson last night. That wasn't what kept me up though. Ken being willing to stay up and both of us having books to read were more responsible.
The lesson next week is on the rescue of the Martin and Willie handcart companies, familiar material. I want to help the class effectively and personally discuss "rescue." My original thinking focused on two questions.
Have you ever rescued anybody?
What was your motivation?
I don't know how to move from physical rescue to emotional or spiritual rescue. I don't want it to happen to fast. Maybe I should ask, "Have you ever physically rescued anybody?"
I did a newspaper search of "rescue" and came up a "bread lady" who runs a food donation and distribution center on her front porch, a London clerk who rescued Jewish children from the Holocaust and a father who drowned in a reservoir while trying to rescue his children. Of the three, the father's motivation is the most clear and understandable. There were also numerous search and rescue teams. For some it was a job. Others were volunteers.
The early pioneers initially went out to rescue the Martin and Willie Handcart companies because the prophet asked them to. When they saw the need compassion kicked in. Even then, some of the rescuers were willing to sacrifice more than others.
It is difficult to anticipate how class members will respond to this kind of an introduction. Maybe comments on this post will give me an idea (if there are any comments).
Steven felt a more significant question would be, "Have you ever been rescued?"
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I think we all are being rescued by Christ as we reach out and accept His rescue.
I will give this topic a bit more thought but my first reaction was that although the Martin Handcart Co was in need of physical rescue, I thought of the gentleman we have often heard quoted as saying that none of the members of the company ever left the church because of their strong testimonies due to their trial.
My other thought is that a rescue doesn't do any good unless the person wants to be rescued (i.e. addictions). You can reach out and pull someone in but if they are still stretching out to sea they will soon be back in the same position. Does that make sense?
I like the comments so far.
I also like when teachers ask very specific questions rather than saying, "That's not exactly what I was getting at." So, if you want a physical rescue answer, then I'd definitely ask it.
If someone asked me if I'd been rescued I'd probably think of emotional rather than physical rescuing.
I like the examples you gave. Once you discuss the physical rescue and the handcart company then maybe you could ask about other types of rescuing.
Wish I could hear your lesson! I'm sure it will be excellent.
After finishing the blog, I started thinking about the Savior's example. During his mortal ministry he often first focused on physical rescue. In reality He unconditionally rescues all mankind from physical death but only the repentant from spiritual death. Like Lisa says, we have to want to be rescued from spiritual death.
I also pondered the question, "Has one of your children ever been rescued?" and how would you feel about someone who rescued one of your children.
We had this lesson today. The teacher uses Power Point every week to post questions, have quotes or scriptures visible and show video clips. She asked more of the "have you ever been rescued" questions and got a variety of responses: converts felt they were rescued as they joined the Church, one family had their home burn down while they were out of town for Christmas break and members of the ward rescued what was left of their belongings and helped with the aftermath of such a disaster, one sister talked about her husband and children helping rescue neighbors during a flood and how they came home muddy and smiling, one sister didn't go into detail but talked about how our Savior had rescued her. There were tender feelings and some emotion (a friend handed me a tissue:). She showed a clip from, I think, the D&C lesson video. It includes parts from a talk by President Hinckley and shows a reinactment of the handcarts being pulled in the snow, the rescue wagons and the three boys who carried the handcart members across the freezing river. It made it so much more real. The teacher then helped us see the application in our daily lives.
I've been rescued by friends who listened, really listened, when my heart was full and bursting. Rescued in prayer for the same reason, needing to unburden the cares of the world into the Lord's hands. Rescued by a sweet husband who won't give up on talking and reaching out when I am feeling unsocial and unloved. I should work harder on seeking to rescue others, because I know how good it feels to be on the receiving end...
This post and comments are helping me count blessings / rescues.
Two different kinds of rescues happened when my oldest boys were 4 and 2. I was pregnant and so hungry, so I let them run in the gym after grandma Carlson's funeral. It didn't take long to loose track of them. After a while of searching the building and church grounds, a kind woman approached the building with my two little wet boys. I gratefully claimed them but was so upset by the whole thing. They had been playing in sprinklers on the grass lining a busy street. I was upset they had gone so far away and upset that I hadn't been careful enough. I didn't have enough energy or composure to go back into the building. After I cried for a while, sitting in the car, dad came out and we went for a drive.
I agree with Deb that it is good for the class if a teacher asks specific questions.
Great comments from all.
Post a Comment