Friday, September 25, 2009

500 words a day

I googled the phrase "500 words a day" after hearing it on talk radio yesterday and remembering Deborah's goal. I hadn't realized the practice had such a following. Ernest Hemingway was probably not the first to try it, but must have popularized the idea.

Getting started on the 500 words seems to be the problem. It has been suggested that you always stop writing while you still know what you are going to write next. Or stop in mid sentence. Sorting through the possibilities can be immobilizing. There are so many things to write about. It might be easier if you had a novel in progress or a deadline. If the goal is just to communicate with people you care about and get them to respond, it is more complicated.

Do I write about my surgery or focus on family problems that have surfaced during the week? Do I recount my blessings or my comings and goings. What am I excited about? What are my goals?

My husband is retiring at the end of the year.
We are talking about mission preparation.

I am getting a new laptop computer.
I am reconnecting with family history.

Grapes, pears, and apples need to be dealt with.
Books need to be culled and organized.
Papers and pictures need to be prepared for posterity.

But today I am reading "Madam Curie" by her daughter Eve Curie and working on my Sunday School lesson. And I will take a walk.

That's only about 250 words. Half done seems about right for this morning.

3 comments:

Deb said...

That's funny. I didn't know anybody ever had a goal to write 500 words other than me. It's a thing?!! It seems like such a small number. I just picked it randomly and then I erased it because it seemed too small. Interesting. I should look it up.

I like your 250 words. I'm glad you shared them.

Jennilyn said...

Mission possibilities are exciting!

I find myself reading and writing more just to deal with stress and the unknown. Helps to focus outward, instead of just feeling.

Lisa Chin said...

Wow! Those are some exciting 250 words. I didn't know that Ken would be retiring soon and you were exploring a mission. What an exciting time of life!