Thursday, September 17, 2009

communicating matters

Have you ever shared your heart only to find that no one seemed to care? Bloggers are great risk takers. The same is true of people who share their innermost feelings in E-mails. It is not easy to expose fears and weaknesses, but we do it anyway.

I remember in junior high school, trying for the first time to really communicate what I thought and felt. I would turn in an English paper or poem and wait in fear until it was graded and returned. It was such a relief to have it back in my possession.

We don't get to take back blogs or E-mails and keep them safe. They remain hanging out in the open, flapping in the breeze, being looked at, being criticized, being ignored more likely. But the one who put it out doesn't forget. We continue to look for feedback, to wonder if anyone cares.

It is easier to just read what others write and even to respond compassionately within ourselves, but if we don't comment or write back, the writer doesn't know. I remember being reminded by my sons that it took courage for their wives to share their lives with me in E-mails and that they needed to know what I thought about what they had written. I am grateful for those reminders and have tried to be more faithful in responding. I am sure I have at times under responded or missed giving feedback entirely. I'm sorry. Forgive me.

Responding to blogs is more optional because they aren't specifically addressed. But comments do make a difference to bloggers. I want to commend those of you who regularly and naturally "let your light shine" and also those who "reflect the light of others," suns and moons both.

To all of us, I submit a reminder that it might be a good thing to go through our Emails and look for ones that are hanging out all by themselves waiting for a response.

7 comments:

Jennilyn said...

oooooohhhhh, YES! Amen, MOM! Thanks for your uplifting talks on smiling and being more open. It is good advice. And I know it will make a difference if we all do it. XO

BobandLu said...

I have been thinking back on several specific times where I would like to have been better at giving feedback or at least a comment. I would like to be better with that. Thank you for the reminder. You are a thoughtful, loving and sincere woman. I love those qualities of yours.

Deb said...

I always appreciate comments. It means a lot to me every time. I need to try harder to comment. Sometimes I don't because I think what I'd say wouldn't matter or I just don't know what to say. Most of the time, saying anything, even something short,is better than saying nothing. Thank you for the reminder.

Deb said...

Oh, and I have to say, sometimes I feel uncomfortable commenting on public blogs, not knowing who else will read them. And blogs where the author has to give permission before the comments are posted (like my public blog) make me nervous about commenting too. Hmm. Maybe I should change that setting on my pubic blog. But then I'd be risking some awful anonymous comment. Public blogging is definitely more risky.

Lisa Chin said...

I agree! On the other hand I wonder if I comment too much. One of my children teased me about making what they thought was too many comments (on blogs and facebook) and now I'm self-conscience about leaving comments.

However after reading your post I am not feeling as self conscience. People are NOT mind readers and so I have now concluded that giving a thoughtful response is the only way to go.

Jane Babcock said...

In all the time I have had a public blog I have never had a comment that I wouldn't have allowed. In fact I have only had one comment from someone I didn't know.

Jane Babcock said...

And Lisa, I love your comments. Your example helped prompt me to expound on the importance of communicating.