What mistakes did I make? What do my children want to do differently than their parents did? What helped and what didn't? How do all of the unspoken rules and expectations effect children? What makes all the guilt happen? How can a parent teach change and repentance to help the family deal with the lack of perfection in everybody? If I were to do it again I would love more vocally, with more touch and more praise. These thoughts this morning remind me of Jenni's stairs. What would I put on my stairs? What new "bees" would I add to my life?
-be alert
--be attentive
---be cheerful
----be forgiving
-----be friendly
------be happy
-------be hopeful
--------be kind
---------be loving
----------be obedient
-----------be open
------------be patient
-------------be pleasant
--------------be quiet
---------------be sorry
----------------be still
-----------------be supportive
------------------be trusting
-------------------be willing
--------------------be wise
I don't have enough stairs.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I find myself asking those questions too, and frequently getting frustrated at imperfection on my part. But something my friend said the other day had an impact. When she was going through serious trials with her kids and also had cancer, she said that she knew how to read the scriptures and knew how to go to church when she could get out of bed. She knew she had taught her children the gospel and relied heavily on the atonement and was grateful that it was there for them.
Jen's thought reminds me of our decision to read scriptures as a family, consistently--when I was so sick and could only do 1 thing, I wanted to have that spiritual center in our home. It wasn't a habit until that decision.
As I was painting the stairs I thought of other things I would add, too, (and that is why the seek good friends and treat others kindly is on the last two!).
I like your steps. Next time I am in town I could paint yours! More than one virtue would fit on a stair!
Post a Comment