Today I am 64 years old. I honor my father and mother. I am grateful for my life.
6535 West Alameda Ave.
Denver, Colo.
Nov. 29, 1944
Dear Mother:
Just a line to tell you that we have a brand new baby girl. She was born 10:20 this morning. She is small but as fat as butter weighs nine pounds and has lots of light brown hair. Wont write more now as Laura insists she feels so well she will write you all about it tomorrow. Alvin and Betty are staying during the day time with a neighbor so everything is working out fine.
Love
Harold
St. Lukes Hospital
Denver, Colorado
Nov. 30, 1944
Dear Mother,
With each baby I marvel anew how you ever had nine. Yesterday morning I didn’t think I could ever go thru it again, but today things look different, and I’m feeling wonderfully well. Harold said he was going to write to you last night so I guess you know we have another lovely daughter. She weighed 9 lbs. & is a short little things. She has a small round head, and is all chest. She looks very much like Betty did as near as I can remember. Lots of hair, dark brown, & blue eyes, & a cowlick right in the middle of her forehead. (I hope you can read this).
Everything went very well, altho I had nearly 10 hrs labor. It was very much like with Alvin, but not half as bad. 7 hrs of nagging pains before I got down to business. We got to the hosp. About 3 A..M. and she was born at 10:20 A.M. They thought we was coming at 9:15 A.M. yet I could have told them I hadn’t had any bearing down pains & they gave me gas. After half an hr. I woke up & she still wasn’t born and with 4 good pushes on my part she came quite normally. This morning the Dr. explained at first she was coming posterior or face down which would have meant 3 or 4 more hours. The gas relaxed the uterus & gave the baby a chance to turn. I had prayed so to have a normal birth, & the Lord was good to me.
I had a very slight tear. The Dr. said it wouldn’t even have needed a stitch but he put one in as a precaution, and I know I am going to recover more quickly this time. I’ve been in the best of health all the time. I’ve found out tho what after pains are.
We just left the children sleeping when we came to the hosp. & Maxine in the other half of the house listened for them & went over in the morning and got them. She sent me a note last night to assure me they were ok. She is going to take care of them instead of Mrs Niemeyer because she is handy to their clothes, & if they are sleeping when Harold leaves for work she can hear when they stir. Her cousins wife & baby went home the day before I came to the hosp. & I think Maxine is a brick to take on my two. She is surely a wonderful girl.
As yet we haven’t a name picked for our girl. We thought all along & hoped she would be twins, a boy & a girl, and had names picked for them or for a boy. So you see you never get what you expect. We think Jane is the nicest name we could give her.
I’ve been thinking we would have word by now of Jennette and I guess you have put off writing until you could let us know. I hope everything goes well for her.
We heard from Helen the end of last week & all of Mont’s class was shipped the Monday after she arrived on Sat. with the exception of Mont & I believe one or 2 others. He expected to get his orders this last Monday, so I expect to either hear from her, or see her this week end. Here come the babies. Yesterday mine sucked her fists every time they brot her & this morning she wouldn’t even wake to try to nurse. I’ll close now, & may the Lord bless you always Mother. I thank him again & again for such a wonderful Mother.
Lovingly, Laura
Mr. Zelenka has brought us 3 pheasants this season, & they are the best tasting birds ever.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Happy Birthday! It was nice to read the letters you sent too.
Wow! That would have been wild if you had a twin...We are glad you were born! Happy Birthday! These letters make Grandma very real. So thanks for sharing them. XO
Post a Comment