This is the only letter we have written by Laura in the year 1941.
Dear Dan and Mary, and little Mary,
By the way, what do you call her? Don’t die of shock when you realize that I am finally getting around to writing to you. Harold took his pen with him to Mutual, and this is the only other means of writing I have. [note: letter is typed] I’ve been trying to get a few Christmas letters written, but I’m having a terrible time. Relief Society is keeping me going at such a pace I can’t keep up with anything, and Harold has cooked so many meals lately, he is thinking I should take over his school teaching. Seriously tho, the R.S. had just been a little too much for me, and I can’t hope to keep up with it, and do all that is required., so I’m asking to be released the first of the year.
Alvin had been sick for a week with the flu, and I know it is caused from taking him out so much in all kinds of weather. For over a week he didn’t drink a drop of milk, and for five days not a bite of food. I was worried sick, and had the Dr. He gave him some tablets to counteract infection, and he pirked right up again. He is well again now, and for the last two days he has wanted to eat steadily. Since he didn’t have a bottle for a week, I just discontinued giving it to him, and he seems cured of it. It makes me very happy, because he drinks enough from a cup.
Well, are you going to be able to come home for Christmas. I haven’t seen any of your last letters, and in fact Mom has been worried about you because she hasn’t heard from you. Mom was saying she guessed you wished you were still here with conditions as they are. No one can talk of anything else but War lately, but it still seems so far removed from us that we can’t quite comprehend its meaning. Mother is worried of course, because she knows what war can mean. At a welfare meeting last night Pres. Clark expressed a deep concern about the food supply of our people, he says that in some places already there are reports of food shortage.
There is a lot of news that might be told, and then you may have heard most of it. I heard that Gwen wrote and told you that Alvin was walking. Yes, he started to weeks before he was a year, and it surely is a relief to have him off the floor. I’m sending you one of the pictures that was in the news when he was a year. I also saw the pictures of little Mary, and she looks so sweet. It is a pity we can’t see her, and watch the changes in her. Half the pleasure you get from a baby is watching it grow. Jennettes youngster is growing well, but such a live wire you never saw before. He is a strong little monkey, and almost too much to manage any more. If he weren’t quite so active it would be easier to handle him, and by the way, Mom is taking care of him now. Jennette has been working at Pembrokes for a couple of weeks, and Mom has her hands full. Burnell is working for Bro Carlson digging ditches, and it is pretty hard work this time of year. Although Burnell has gone to Tabiona for a couple of days to find some stray cattle he lot this fall. We expect him back again tomorrow.
Bro. Whitman died about five weeks ago, and it really was a blessing. He had been ill so long. Two weeks ago last Sunday Mary Waddups Whitman went to the hospital, and had a baby boy. The baby was born fine, and everything seemed to be going so well, but Mary just never came out of the anesthetic. It seems that when the afterbirth came it pulled all her organs with it. Everyone was quite upset about it, and it was about the hardest thing in the world to believe. Sister Raphel is going to take the baby for about a year, or until it is old enough for Johny to take. Johny is going to live with his Mother. He had the baby named Omer after Mary’s father was was killed when she was just eight months old while he was hunting deer.
Sister Bleazard, the old lady died last Sat., and was buried today. She was Sister Miles, and Mrs Rose Fairbourne’s Mother. She was buried from Wandamere ward, while Springview Ward was having their apron Bazar in the annex. You certainly run into complications with two wards using the same building. Both wards are having a three day Carnival starting tomorrow. It sounds like it is going to be pretty big, but oh, as Sister Biesinger said today, You either have to leave the church, or not raise a family. It has been so long since Harold and I spent an evening home together we wouldn’t know what to do if such an occasion presented itself. Monday night was priesthood meeting, last night I had a welfare meeting at the assembly hall, tonight is Mutual, and the next three nights carnival, and I’ve go to be their every night. Some fun. The church believes in holsum home life, yet few church workers every enjoy their homes very much merely because the don’t have the opportunity. I’m really not critisizing, but it seems as tho the some people are just worked to death if they are the lest bit willing to work.
Please write and tell us if and how you are faring down their since the war broke out, because we worry about you so. I’m getting sleepy as you can no doubt tell from the mis hits., so I’ll say goodnight, and we would still like to see you at Christmas if you can make it.
I thought of some more to say. Arben Clark was going to the Hiwiian islands on a mission, but is being sent to the North Central states insteas. Roland Fawson, and the Russon boy have gone to Denver to study for three months for some defense industry, then to be sent anywhere they are needed. Rena and her Husband Dexter Page have also gone there, altho I think is is already employed in industry. These kids get paid while they learn. Theo and Bub have gone to Kansas with much the same proposition. Theo left Sunday, and Bub left yesterday, their fare paid there. Ruth and Mary are staying here for two weeks, then are going to follow them to Kansas. What on earth is this world coming too. You need a world atlas and then some to find out where all the old gang has gone. One day we miss some one, and then find they have been out of town for months.
Pearl got a letter from Art Walker Monday, and he said he landed in Honolulu, and that they were sailing for parts unknown on the S.S. Republic, so we imagine he is in Manila or the Phillipines. Ernie Ehlers is in Manila, and Norm Van Dam in Hawaii, and Mrs. Van Dam is feeling pretty low. Every one is on edge wondering what will happen next. Pearl is feeling low because Royce will come home from his mission and go right into the Army, and she was saying today that she is going to marry him first even if he did have to go right to war. It is a pretty hard proposition for a lot of people.
But keep your chin up you tow and keep us posted as to what you are doing. We’ll be waiting to hear from you.
With Love
From Laura, Harold & Alvin
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I have loved reading these. I agree with Jen, much is applicable to today. Thanks.
Post a Comment