Friday, March 20, 2009

hearing loss

I've known for a long time that my hearing isn't as good as Ken's. He has been encouraging me to get a hearing test. This morning I did. I could have come home with hearing aids, but the Dr. wants me to see an ENT specialist first to find out if there is a medical reason that one ear can hear better than the other one. Mostly I can understand people. High voices are harder. Evidently I miss about 30% of audio cues with my left ear and 15% with the right ear. So I'm kind of borderline. If I regularly worked in a situation where it mattered, a hearing aid would be more important. I was surprised at the sadness I felt. Listen to the world. Listen to each other. And be patient with people who don't understand you.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Makes me think I should get my hearing tested. I have trouble hearing sometimes when my left ear is covered. So something is up with the right. Good idea to see an ENT too.

Jennilyn said...

Sandy & John & Lisa & Billie all have hearing aids. We make a point of getting their attention first before talking to them, look them right in the face, don't hide lips with hands or gestures...I suppose the hardest part is admitting when you haven't heard someone, not being embarrased about it, just asking humbly for them to repeat something you missed. Mortal world and all...

BobandLu said...

I'm glad you're going to the ENT. I only listen on the phone with my right ear. My hearing is better with that one.