The Christmas John and Jen were married we drove from Utah to Virginia, arriving at Aunt Betty's on Christmas Eve. She and Blen were in Utah, so we had the house to ourselves, complete with Christmas tree, videos and games. I think I packed Christmas stockings, but the trip was our present. It was one of the calmest and most pleasant Christmases I can remember. I didn't miss the shopping part and the stress about presents.
I believe that Christmas presents should be pleasant surprises. Givers should not feel obligated. Sometimes giving is easy and fun. It should happen all year long, fulfilling real needs and wants. Receiving with gratitude and humility without a compulsion to reciprocate is best. Comparing is deadly. Equality is an impossibility. Present overload is deadening to the spirit.
It takes me a long time to get the "Christmas Spirit." I often react negatively to Christmas stories and nostalgia. The emotional overload is painful to me. I don't like to think about the pain of the greedy needy or the pain of those in real need. I have always been frustrated by the greedy part of myself. I want to be free from the desire for things. I want to be able to give gifts of love and understanding and faith and hope.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment