Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas

Christmas morning has turned into Christmas afternoon. Almost everyone is happy and well fed, busy withur games and activities. I had an emotional Christmas eve, reacting to the DVD preview Michael presented to us with footage of my parents and Grandma Davidson, young Jennilyn, Deborah, John David and Laura involved in various activities. I was tired and grumpy with Grace when Grace was grumpy and about four hour behind schedule.

As we finished wrapping the last presents about midnight, I realized that I didn't have anything for David and Julie and Ella and Ocean and Ava and Iris -- and they were the ones that would be with us first thing Christmas morning. I had left the box with their presents under the bed downstairs that David and Julie were sleeping in. I was tempted to sneak down there and hook it out, but feared that they would wake up and I would have to pass by either Ava or Iris. Very frustrating.

This morning I had to explain to Ocean and Ella why there weren't any presents under the tree. I had already explained why there wasn't any tree in the regular sense of the word. We made green Christmas tree pancakes while waiting for David and Julie to wake up.

I envied their ability to sleep in. I wake up early and start thinking. And I didn't get much sleep last night. At 2:30 when I got up to go to the bathroom after just an hour plus sleep, it was cold and wind was howling through the house. I turned up the heat and climbed back in bed only to realize I was missing something. Checked to see if the heater was working and realized the back door had been blown open.

I think company has come. Lindsey and her fiance were on their way. Time to refresh the buffet.

1 comment:

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

It was nice to be with you on Christmas this year. I wondered how you were responding to seeing those videos. I glanced over at you to check but I couldn't tell by looking, how you were feeling. Thanks for the presents and kindness.