Thursday, January 7, 2010

retirement day three

Yesterday Ken woke me up at 6:10 because he thought I said I was getting up at 6:00. I had my alarm set for 6:30 and was a bit frustrated. I had been awake and mentally cleaning house for a couple of hours in the middle of the night and was finally in the middle of deep dreaming sleep.

To save time carrying out our todo list, he came with me to tutoring and then we drove over to Sears to buy a new microwave. It (the microwave) died a noisy death on Saturday and I further wounded it by breaking the turntable the same morning. We can pick up our new microwave on January 15.

All this time Ken was dressed in a suit because our next stop was passport photos and submission of passport application at the post office. Even though he was in a suit and didn't have on his walking shoes, we were most of the way to West Valley Mall, so we went there to walk for an hour. Walking through the food court reminded us it was lunch time, so we stopped at subway on our next to last round and followed that with a midday dollar movie, "Where the Wild Things Are." It was a great movie, but so warm, I got a little sleepy and had to work to keep my eyes open so I wouldn't miss anything.

Our afternoon was spent with me cleaning house and Ken working on my laptop trying to get the fingerprint identification thing to work. He succeeded but I didn't. Progress though. Becca is being very helpful, both emotionally and physically. She and Simon joined us for hot Lion House rolls -- I finally made up a mix Ken gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. It still worked because you add your own yeast, egg, and butter. Made us wonder what was in the flour to call it a roll mix?

I slept better last night, but had stress dreams about trying to take a test in school and not being able to get it started and knowing I should have written a paper etc. At least they weren't about cleaning the house. Retirement is hard work.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Sounds like you had a fun day despite the busyness. So, I guess you're thinking of an out-of-country mission. Interesting.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I had a brilliant idea. I'll send you an email or call.

Lisa Chin said...

Wow, I am getting tired just reading about all your retirement work!

Jennilyn said...

Exciting times! The MTC won't be stresful learning--it will be wonderful. Plus, you already know exactly who your companion will be (huge stress relief, that knowing). I think it is a great example to your grandkids that you are doing this as soon as you are able to go! John is hoping you get called to Maryland. But we know you will go where the Lord needs you.