Thursday, January 28, 2010

found and lost

Last night Alysa found my mother's ginger scissors. I had been using them to make curtains when they disappeared. I knew they were still in the house, because I hadn't taken them anywhere. Alysa said it is cheaper to buy new ones than to sharpen old ones. But these had my mother's name on them, and Alysa understood I really wanted to find them. When she lost a screw from her glasses on the couch, Alysa pulled up the cushion and started searching the depths. We were both delighted when she presented them to me.

Cleaning house is a risky time. You find some things, but you lose others. It is easy to forget where things after you move them. You only remember them being where they used to be. I found the first box of strong magnets. They are now stacked onto the side of the refrigerator with the second box. I think they will live there, unless Becca has other ideas.

Ken has lost his marbles. Simon and I put them in a two quart glass jar, but Ken worried about it breaking and put them back in the wooden canister. He has found another cup and a half of marbles to add to the collection, but doesn't remember where the canister is.

2 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I remember Dad showing me his collection of marbles when I was very young. I don't know if he knew we played marbles in elementary school, during recess? My collection grew as I won games. I had 4 steelies at one point, but my favorite were the cat-eyes. And I had a maroon red cloudy one that I really loved. Little bits of beauty.

Alysa sounds very helpful. I am excited to have her as a new-youngest sister! Are her friends giving her a shower that you know about yet?

Lisa Chin said...

"Lost, lost, lost" Loosing marbles always reminds me of the movie "Hook" where one of the lost boys (who came back to Wendy and grew up) is crawling around on the floor saying that he lost his marbles. Fun movie.

I Hope Ken can find his marbles, it would be terrible to go off on his mission and not have all his marbles. ;)