Family Sunday dinner is smaller tonight. Since Michael and Sare aren't coming today, Emma and Sarah K don't have a ride. John and Jen and family are far away. Becca is coming though and the tradition will continue. 5:00 p.m. anyone is welcome and friends can come. I believe in family dinners.At NPS this week, I bought a cookbook (for $1) called "In Mother's Kitchen." Celebrated women chefs share beloved family recipes. In the introduction the authors noted that back in 2000: "We learned just how few American children sit down to a family meal on a regular basis (a mere 15 percent). It was a figure that both frightened and disheartened us. As chefs we feared the loss of our nation's great culinary heritage, and as women with deep family and cultural ties we couldn't imagine a world in which the kitchen would no longer be the heart of the home."
It is a readable cookbook, cheaper than buying a magazine. I look forward to finding something in it to try. Even if I don't follow any of the recipes, I will learn from them. And what I learn tends to influence my cooking.
Too busy to cook is too busy. I hope that all of my grandchildren will learn to cook basic foods and be inspired to make cooking and eating a family experience.

1 comment:
New cook books are great! I just bought a new crock pot one from Costco that has more variety in it than the old one I've had.
That helps with the business.
We just started a "My Sister's Kitchen" RS enrichment group. More new recipes! One woman wants to teach 101 things to do with a rotisserie chicken! Could be funny.
Post a Comment